themachinelive.com

the machine live

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:58 pm

Post subject: for guitar players and all fans alike
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:05 pm 

Guitar World magazine has put out a special issue entirely devoted to floyd. There are tabs to six songs, and a ton of pics from all eras of the band. I just bought it, and haven't had a chance to read it yet. But it looks like it might be a good addition to everybody's collection. Check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:36 am 

Lucifer Sam,

Cool, thanks for the tip! My son plays guitar and just mentioned the other day that he'd like a subscription to Guitar World, which I'm keeping in mind for Christmas. But I think I'll also pick up this special Floyd issue now for his 16th birthday which is coming up Nov 2nd. He already knows almost everything else he's getting because it's mostly guitar gear that he picked out, so he'll appreciate a little surprise. Thanks!

--Vik 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:03 am 

"I bought a guitar to punish my ma!"

Congratulations for being an awesome mom. When I lived at home, my mother would yell "turn it down" the exact second that i turned on the amplifier. And it's even more awesome that you're contributing to his collection of guitar goodies. good job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:38 pm 

i may have to run and pick that issue up myself :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:48 pm 

dude i am so going to buy that... :D thanks for the heads up sam.

and btw:
Vik, you would be the coolest mom ever. My mom hates that I play guitar at all... lol.

peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:49 pm 

lucifer sam wrote:
"I bought a guitar to punish my ma!"

Congratulations for being an awesome mom. When I lived at home, my mother would yell "turn it down" the exact second that i turned on the amplifier. And it's even more awesome that you're contributing to his collection of guitar goodies. good job.

Wow, thanks for the kind words. To be honest I'm generally a pretty crappy mom, but in this area you could be right. As far as I'm concerned, picking up the guitar 3 years ago was the best thing he ever did. Yeah, sometimes I make him turn it down like when I'm trying to hold a conversation or watch TV, but for the most part I really enjoy hearing him play. My husband's not as tolerant, so I usually let him crank it when he's not home. He's actually really good, and he's into good music too, thankfully... and I'd like to think of that as my doing... dragging him to Merriweather to see the Allman Brothers when he was like 3 or 4... wonder if he remembers the old fat hairy biker man asking him if he knew how lucky he was... and then there was Crosby Stills & Nash, Blue Oyster Cult, THE MACHINE, etc, etc... not to mention growing up with my music in the house and car. It's a wonder he didn't rebel and go off in some other direction actually, but I guess he just has an ear for good music.

He has a Godin SD electric and a Seagull electric accoustic (real good quality guitars at a low(er) price, for anyone who hasn't heard of them), plus a cheapo Fender that came with his original Strat Pack... if I'd have known he was going to stick with it and be so good I'd have skipped the Strat Pack cuz it was only 6 months later he wanted the Godin. He also knows a little keyboarding, he wants to learn bass at some point, and he told me if I ever see a cheap banjo at a yardsale or something I should get it for him to play around with. And for fun he's been making techno music on a demo program called Fruity Loops. And he just recently talked about maybe wanting to go to school for music.

Now I just wish he'd start to focus a little bit on his "back-up plan" because as of now he doesn't want to do anything else for a living (except maybe pro skateboarding if he were just a little better). But no matter what, I told him to never give up guitar because local gigging on the weekends is a great and fun parttime job, and he could always give lessons. I'd actually love to see him make it in the music business in some way, shape or form... but with a full medical/dental/vision/retirement plan! :lol:

Well, sorry if I'm boring anybody by going on about my kid... I'll stop now!

--Vik 8)

Last edited by Vikki on Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:53 pm 

Just after I posted I saw Kate's post too....
Someone should tell my son how awesome and cool I am!
Actually I think I'm going to have to show him this thread!
Thanks for the support!
:D :D :D

--Vik 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:41 pm 

Quote:
To be honest I'm generally a pretty crappy mom, but in this area you could be right.

Just an afterthought... Crappy parents are great subject matter... He'll probably get rich and famous playing songs about what a crappy mom I was! :roll:

--Vik 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:06 pm 

Vikki wrote:
Quote:
Crappy parents are great subject matter... He'll probably get rich and famous playing songs about what a crappy mom I was!

Where would The Wall be without "Mother"? And I'll have to agree you're a pretty cool mom to take your son to not only The Machine, but to Blue Oster Cult as well (my second favorite band after the Floyd).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:45 pm 

I am such a 'tard... My son comes home, I say I want to show him something, he complains, I drag him into the office anyway, bring up this thread, and immediately I realize I can't show him this til his birthday if I want the Guitar World mag to be a surprise... DUH... so I say oh nevermind, and he luckily doesn't ask any questions, he's just happy he gets to leave the room because as far as he's concerned I'm bugging him. So now he gets 2 surprises... the mag, AND he'll find out what a cool and awesome mom I am! Actually I do have a few other surprises too, like the new Primus CD and DVD... does that get me any more points? :lol:

Thanks again for all the kind words... always nice to hear! :)

--Vik 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:31 pm 

I just wanted to mention something else about taking my son along with me to concerts when he was little... During some of that time I was still single and could not afford to buy a 2nd ticket for a little kid... therefore most of the concerts he went to were ones that allowed kids in free. I think this is such a great idea, I wish more bands would do it, or at least the "family friendly" ones. Of course it only works with general admission but those are the kinds of shows to take kids to anyway... ones where you can spread out a blanket and play (bubbles, balloons, glowsticks)... I wouldn't expect a little kid to sit in a seat for 2-3 hours. Also some of the concerts we went to were just free shows anyway, like when he saw The Machine at Jubilee Day in Mechanicsburg, or even just the Saturday afternoon blues festivals in Reservoir Park in Harrisburg. I just tried to expose him to music whenever I could. But my point is I wish more bands would do shows like this... it's nice not to have to pay for an extra ticket (or a babysitter), and your kid gets exposure to great music and good times. Well that's my 2 cents anyway. :)

--Vik 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:45 am 

The tab for Dogs is in this magazine. which is cool. it's the first time i have seen it tabbed out "correctly". you know the guitar is tuned down a whole step. I can play the same thing tuned normally, but it does sound better doing it correctly. *** Hey Joe, I have noticed some funky chords when you play that song. Do you play it tuned down or normally? I don't recall seeing you switch guitars for dogs, so i suppose you play it in standard tuning.*** That is such a complicated song to play all the way through.

Vikki...
the primus dvd rocks and is a must have for all primus fans. I saw them on that tour, and it is still one of the wildest shows I have ever been to (Roseland Ballroom, NYC) You do have a lucky son, and I think that you should just print out this entire thread and insert it into his b'day card.
have a good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:48 am 

Lucifer Sam,

Good idea, except I think I'll put it inside the Guitar World magazine! :) As for Primus... my son and a bunch of his friends and my brother and some of his friends and my nephew and some of his friends are all going to see Primus on 11/10 at Tower Theater near Philly. I'm only somewhat familiar with Primus's music myself so I originally wasn't planning to go, but then I started hoping a ticket would free up for me... well it seems there's very little chance of that happening, so now I'm thinking of just buying another one, but not sure yet if I wanna spend another $60 (that's including Ticketmonster's charges). I do think I'd enjoy the show... I like most the songs I've heard so far... I guess because I like bands that sound different, and they are so funny... although it seems like the joke never ends with them... but I guess that's ok too. So, Sam, are you going to see Primus on this tour?

--Vik 8)